Thursday, February 15, 2007

MySpace, Your Space, We've all got space!


Well, I guess I have a love hate relationship with myspace. At first, it is like e-crack for the nosy and you want to look up all those people in highschool that still owe you money...and then you have to confront them and make them give you your money because you need it to build something cool and then you finally build it and you feel empty inside because its over and nobody else on myspace owes you money.
But then..................................MRRL learning 2.0 comes along and you realize it's a super great tool for the library to use to reach people that otherwise might not frequent the actual building. It's sad, but in a meeting the other day, Taryn pointed out that some parents won't take their kids or teens to anything, but they will sit them down in front of a t.v. or computer. So, a teen like that can actually communicate with librarians and have some window to the library/literary world even if they can't drive yet and their parents won't take them. (For some reason this reminded me a little of an example of a virtual library we saw at MLA last year when they were talking about the future of libraries. It had a librarian avatar) It's also a great way to check out authors - I really wish more of my favorites had myspace pages where they can blog easily ect... Sometimes their publishing websites are very impersonal. They need to get with it. Well, my thoughts are random and my sentences run on, so I guess I'll just sum it up by saying: Libraries and Myspace go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly.

No comments: